Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Real Time Webcams Enrich Google Earth



I almost cannot remember a time when I couldn't go to my computer and get turn my turn directions to anywhere I wanted to go, down to the feet on the block. Google Earth and Google Maps have changed the way humans use both navigational systems and maps themselves. Below, PhD candidate Austin Abrams has developed a system that utilizes live webcam feeds to inform the facades of buildings in Google Earth. The system is connected to nearly 1000 webcams, some of which need to be calibrated by locals (if you get a few minutes, public help is requested). The NewScientist article quotes Georgia Tech researcher Kiwhan Kim as saying he is impressed with the new technology, but sees that full real-time Google Earth is still years away.

A quick video after the jump.


No comments:

Post a Comment